Sunday, April 1, 2012

Health Activists Writer's Month-Challenge

I decided to sign up for the WEGO Health Activists Writer's Month to try and jump start my blog again, but also because I am an advocate for my own disease; Multiple Sclerosis. I actually go around parts of the USA and tell my story to other MSers or their family members and how a little tiny pill has made such a difference in my life (but we'll talk more about that at another time). I have been given a topic for each day this week and they will follow for the entire month of April. I am not a very good writer, but will do my best. So here goes the first topic:

Health Time Capsule. Pretend you’re making a time capsule of you & your health focus that won’t be opened until 2112. What’s in it? What would people think of it when they found it?


Of course, I could truly dive so far into this because not only have I been affected by my own chronic disease, but I am also a very passionate advocate for cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. I lost two very important men in my life to those diseases; my father to cancer and my great grandfather to Alzheimer’s disease.

My time capsule would consist of a flash drive (which they'd probably have to track down a device to actually open it up) of what my life was like living with a chronic disease. Pictures of me before my diagnosis, after my diagnosis and in chronological order of what the disease can do; along with publications about the disease and all the research and dedication put in to find a cure. When the time capsule is opened, I hope the person/people who find it is in awe and fascinated that millions of people use to actually live with this horrid disease and be grateful that it no longer exists. (Naturally, I'd love for this to be true for all incurable diseases, but I'd have to start out with the one I deal with day to day).

Of course, it wouldn't be my true blog unless I add a little funny to the "it can only happen to me category". I did our taxes through a computer program way back in early February and indicated I'd like our tiny refund direct deposited into our bank account. After about a month and still no deposit I thought to myself, "hmmm, I wonder why our refund hasn't been deposited yet?". I went on-line to check the "where's my refund" site and typed in all the information; which indicated it could not find our information. I went back into the program on our computer and after going through the ENTIRE process again, discovered I had forgotten to hit submit. All I can say is....."WHEW"!! Thank goodness I decided to check that site; otherwise we would have been super late in submitting our federal taxes. I could blame it on my MS and who knows maybe the MS did play a role, but not likely....only me, only me!!!

Until tomorrow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment